I recently completed my 8th (official) woodworking project of the year. It’s a simple bookshelf, that ended up taking quite a long time due to sickness, stress, and stupidity.
The shelf is the second to last project in the Weekend Woodworker course by Steve Ramsey. I had a few issues with this simple build, mostly because I didn’t pay attention to some of the instructions. However, I’m learning that woodworkers aren’t supposed to disclose mistakes, because most people would never see them unless they’re pointed out!
Starting out with some simple cuts.
I started by assembling the base. The base was mitered, and then put some brace pieces on for later in the project.
The base, almost fully assembled. I attached 2 more brace pieces before I was done.
This is the body, or the “carcass” of the bookshelf. I have to say, I truly hate the strap clamps, but they work well.
Whilst in the middle of the project, my old Black and Decker drill finally bit the dust. Part of the reason this project took a while was because I had to decide what to replace it with.
My wife decided it was time to stain one of the bar stools I made for our kitchen. Isn’t she a beauty?
I had to cut dadoes or rabbets or whatever these are. Got a bit sloppy with the glue.
The carcass is done. I was supposed to use one sheet of 1/4 inch plywood for the back, but I used two pieces I had left over. I’m going to paint this, and there will be a shelf covering the crack, so it won’t matter.
My clamp collection is growing, out of necessity.
This shelf has decorative trim pieces on the front. These gave me more trouble than I thought, because I didn’t quite measure correctly.
I ended up popping a few screws in to the decorative pieces. I went back and covered them with wood filler.
Behold, the final project. The top has a decorative wrap around it. We haven’t painted it yet, but when I do, we’ll share an update!
Again, special thanks to Steve Ramsey’s Weekend Woodworker course. It’s taught me a lot – and I still have one project left to go, which I am currently working on. It’s been so much fun.
Stay tuned for more projects!